Studio Ghibli Museum: Guaranteed Tour
Couldn’t get tickets in advance for Ghibli Museum? Get last-minute guaranteed admission tickets (with optional 1.5 hour tour) to Ghibli Museum here. Book your last-minute tickets with Japan Awaits and don’t miss your opportunity to see the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo!
Studio Ghibli, Inc. is a Japanese animation film studio, that is famously led by Hayao Miyazaki. The studio is best known for its anime feature films–eight of which are among the 15 highest-grossing anime films made in Japan and five films (including Spirited Away, 2001) received Academy Award nominations in the United States.
The Ghibli Museum opened in 2001 in Mitaka, Tokyo, and has become a popular tourist attraction. Co-founded by director Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli is behind some of Japan’s most beloved animated films, such as “My Neighbor Totoro,” “Princess Mononoke,” and “Spirited Away”. The museum attracts a huge number of visitors and tickets are extremely limited, so it is best to acquire these guaranteed tickets to ensure you can visit the museum when you are in town.
Hayao Miyazaki, the director of Studio Ghibli, had a hand in designing the facilities at the museum, including:
- A sculpture of a robot from Castle in the Sky (the most popular exhibit in the museum)
- A stone monument from Castle in the Sky (words of the character Laputa are engraved)
- The seasonal exhibition room, which focuses on specific works of art
- The permanent exhibition room, which features storyboards from films
- The Cat-bus room where children can play freely
- Library reading room with all books available for purchase
- Video exhibition room where seasonal anime works have been screened
- Ghibli characters drawn on the entire ceiling of the entrance hall
- A display entrance counter from Totoro
- Mugiwara Bousi café
- Souvenir shop
- Explore the museum at your leisure (or join the small-group optional tour only available with this booking)
- These guaranteed tickets will be ready for you at the museum at the date and time you selected (you will meet our staff at the front of the museum and you will be walked into the museum at this time)
- Optional tour within Ghibli Museum (about 1.5 hours) is available for guests. The optional tour is not mandatory, but is included in this booking. It provides guests with more insight and context on their visit in the museum, as most of the material in the museum is in Japanese only. Guests are free to roam around the museum after the tour (or they can break away from the group tour at any time).
- Book your last-minute tickets online (on a first-come first-served basis)
- Watch one of Miyazaki’s earliest films (only shown in the museum theater)
- Shop for exclusive Ghibli-themed souvenirs at the museum
Availability: Various dates and times based on availability, on a first-come first-served basis.
Entrance Times Available: 10 AM, 12 PM, 2 PM, 4 PM
Location: Ghibli Museum, 1-1-83, Shimorenjaku, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo
Tickets with Walk-in Service: ¥9,800 per person (includes ticket age 4+ and service fee). Children from age 1 to 4 is free of charge. Includes optional 1.5-hour tour with an English-speaking tour guide.
- Admission ticket
- Personal walk-in service into the Ghibli Museum
- Optional 1.5 hour tour within the museum
- The entrance times for Ghibli Museum are 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, or 4:00 pm. The tickets are based on availability and will be on a first-come first-served basis. If there is no availability in the calendar then all tickets are sold-out.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- The cost includes ticket (age 4+, 1000 JPY); service fee, walk-in service, and optional tour (8800 JPY). Adult pricing applies to all travelers age 4 and above.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- The tour will begin immediately at the start time. Once the tour guide and other guests have entered the museum, the tour guide will not be allowed to leave the museum to get any late guests. Please arrive exactly at the meeting time (20 minutes before the entrance time) to meet the tour guide. If you are late, you will not be able to enter the museum and will not receive a refund.
- Please note that if the tour guide has seen the film before, the museum does not allow the tour guide to watch the short film again. Therefore, guests may go into the theatre to watch the short film (10 to 15 minutes) on their own and the tour guide will wait outside of the theatre for the guests.
By Train: Take the JR Chuo Line to Mitaka Station (it takes about 20-30 minutes from Shinjuku station on Express or Local train). When you arrive at Mitaka Station, exit from the South Exit (南口, Minami), and follow the signs for the Ghibli Museum.
There is a community bus operated by the private Odakyu company that can take you to the museum, and it departs from the No. 9 bus stop. The adult fare for the bus is 320 JPY round-trip and 160 JPY round-trip for children aged 12 and under, and the ticket can be purchased at the vending machine right at the stop.
By Walking: After exiting the South Exit at Mitaka Station, follow the signs to Ghilbi Museum and walk approximately 15 minutes along the Tamagawa Josui “Waterworks” to the museum.
By Car: Driving is not recommended by the museum, as there is no parking upon arrival.
All bookings is payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or PayPal. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
Firm Cancellation Policy
- Cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event
- Cancellation fee of 75% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before event
- Cancellation fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 30 days or less before event
- Cancellation fee of 25% if booking is cancelled 45 days or less before event
There is a non-refundable 3% service fee for all bookings. Refunds (that are not subject to a cancellation fee) will include the ticket price less the 3% service fees. If an event is cancelled or postponed by Japan Awaits, refunds will be for the entire purchase—that includes the ticket price and the service fees.
The following rules were set by Ghibli Museum to make your stay at the museum pleasant, safe and comfortable:
- Bring your passport. At the museum, staff will check that the name (or lead passenger) on the ticket matches with your passport.
- Photography and video recording are not allowed inside the Museum (“The Ghibli Museum is a portal to a storybook world. As the main character in a story, we ask that you experience the Museum space with your own eyes and senses, instead of through a camera’s viewfinder. We ask that you make what you experienced in the Museum the special memory that you take home with you.”)
- Admission into the Saturn Theater will be limited to one screening per person.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited on the premises of the Museum.
- Please turn off all mobile phones. You are also asked not to use mobile phones outside the Museum building where they may disturb others.
- Those who are sensitive to light should be aware that in the Permanent Exhibition Room, there is an exhibit that flashes bright bursts of stroboscopic light.
- The garden roof may be closed in case of inclement weather.
- The Cat Bus is for elementary school children and under only.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited inside the Museum. Anyone who has brought food or beverages to the Museum must eat or drink on the Cafe’s outside deck only (The deck area may be closed in case of inclement weather) and take with them any litter he/she has created.
- Please leave baby carriages at the designated storage area. Coin lockers are available for small bags and parcels. For large luggage, please contact our Museum staff for assistance.
- It is prohibited to enter the Museum with dangerous objects.
- Pets (except seeing-eye or guide dogs) are not allowed in the Museum.
- Any activities which may interfere with the operation of the Museum, either inside the Museum or in the facilities related to the Museum, are strictly prohibited.
- The Museum reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who might interfere with other visitors or cause trouble to others in the Museum.
- No re-entry to the Museum is allowed.
- The Museum or its related service providers are not responsible for accidents caused by visitors’ negligence.
- Visitor parking is not available at the Museum. You are kindly requested not to come to the Museum by car.
- Meetings, speeches, distribution of leaflets, and exhibit and sales of goods are prohibited within the Museum.
- Photography or video recording of the Museum for commercial purpose is not allowed.
- Ticket purchase for resale is not allowed.
How far in advance should I book?
Make a reservation as early as possible as last-minute tickets are based on availability and will be by first-come first-served basis. Once tickets are sold out (there is no longer any availability on the calendar), we will not have other tickets for customers.
What if I do not need last-minute tickets?
If you do not plan to visit the Ghibli Museum for 1.5 – 2 months, we recommend booking the Pre-order Ghibli Museum tickets with us instead. For the Pre-order tickets, although they are not guaranteed tickets, we suggest providing us with at least 3 dates in which you can visit the museum, and to be open to visiting the museum during any of the 4 entrance times of the day. This will increase your chances of getting the pre-order tickets.