Matsumoto One Day Tour from Nagano
Matsumoto, situated north of Tokyo, is the second largest city in the quiet and secluded Nagano Prefecture. The location offers a magnificent scenic view of the Northern Japan Alps and a unique cultural experience.
On this full-day private tour, your English-speaking tour guide will pick you up from your hotel or at Nagano Station between 9 to 9:30 AM. Start off the day by heading to Matsumoto and visiting the Matsumoto Castle, one of the best preserved castles in Japan that was built over 400 years ago.
After an exciting morning at the Matsumoto Castle, visit Nawate Street (a small pedestrian zone with lots of small shops and restaurants along the river), the “Frog Street” (known for its abundance of frog products) and the Nakamachi Street (famous for its old houses and has a beautiful white tone).
After half a day in Matsumoto, visit the tranquil Hotaka Town where Daio Wasabi Farm is located. It is most recognized as Japan’s largest wasabi farm covering 15 hectares and is a popular tourist destination where you can enjoy and find lots of unique wasabi products including wasabi ice-cream. Near Daio Wasabi Farm is the Hotaka Shrine, a secured hidden dwelling surrounded by old trees, and is said to have a special energy and powerful strength. If there is enough time, guests may pray for good fortune at this shrine before returning to Nagano City.
Seasonal Recommendations for This Tour:
Spring Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Viewing: Mid-April to Early-May
Autumn Foliage (Koyo) Viewing: Early-September to Late-November
Winter Festivities: Early-December to Late-March
- Local tour guide
- Trip to Matsumoto Castle, Nawate Street, Daio Wasabi Farm and more
- Matsumoto Castle Entrance Fee
- Round-trip “Resort View Furusato” train tickets from Nagano City to Matsumoto is included (for add-on of private vehicle tour to Matsumoto and return to Nagano, the cost is +6500 JPY per person)
- Meals, snacks and drinks
- Optional Activities in Matsumoto
- All year round, but especially recommended during Spring (for cherry blossoms), Fall (for autumn foliage) and Winter (for snow monkeys and winter festivities).
Location: Matsumoto (from Nagano City and return)
- Adult: 19,000 JPY per person (minimum of 2 people)
- Child (age 1 to 11): 9,500 JPY per person
- For private vehicle add-on price (to and from Nagano and Matsumoto): +6500 JPY per person
- Must provide names of all guests and birth dates
This private tour is for a group of 8 or less people. For a larger group, we may have two tour guides present (depending on availability).
All reservations are subject to Standard, Moderate or Firm Cancellation Policy. The Cancellation Policy will appear at checkout.
All bookings is payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or PayPal. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
How far in advance should I book?
Matsumoto is a popular destination from Nagano. We recommend making a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance.
When is it Peak Season and what does that mean for this tour?
There are many peak seasons in Matsumoto and Nagano, but it is especially busy during Spring and Fall Seasons. During these peak seasons, there will be heavy traffic on the roads and may take two to three times the duration to travel between destinations.
Other peak holidays include Golden Week (May 6th to 27th), the Obon Holidays (August 11th to 20th), and the New Year Holidays (December 28th – January 6th).