Nagano Private Two Day Tour
Enjoy a 2-day, 1 night trip in Nagano where you will spend one full day with an English-speaking guide taking you around the city—enjoying attractions such as snow monkeys, the famous Zenkoji Temple and later relaxing at a traditional onsen (hot springs) and enjoying a traditional Japanese multi-course (kaiseki) dinner at a traditional Japanese ryokan (hotel). On the second day after checking out of the hotel, spend the free day snowboarding/ skiing or spend more time exploring the city on your own (without tour guide), or book one of the add-on second-day tours with us.
- Nagano City is well-known for hosting the 1998 Winter Olympic Games and while some of the former Olympic facilities can still be viewed in Nagano, the city has since evolved as a temple town revolving around the famous Zenkoji Temple, and is most visited during the Spring Season (for cherry blossoms), Summer Season (for hiking and other outdoor activities), the Fall Season (for autumn foliage) and the Winter Season (for winter activities and for seeing the snow monkeys).
- On this tour, spend two days in Nagano exploring the city and enjoying what this quaint town has to offer. Your English-speaking tour guide will pick you up Nagano Train Station by 9:15 AM (on the first day only). You will either take public transportation (train and bus) or private chartered vehicle around town based on your booking.
- On the route to the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, enjoy the beautiful scenery and landscape of the Chikuma River.
- Before arriving at the entrance of the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, enjoy a 30 – 40 minute leisurely stroll through the forest path. Once you enter the park, you can have some hot tea before spending time with the snow monkeys, many of which are bathing in the hot springs (onsen) to keep warm, especially during the cool months of autumn, winter and some parts of spring.
- After an exciting morning at the park, visit Obuse Town, which is most well-known for being the home town of Japan’s most famous artist and creator of the “Great Wave”, Hokusai Katsushika. Enjoy lunch in the area before walking around to explore the shops and try sake tasting.
- After visiting Obuse Town, head to Zenko-ji Temple (one of the most important and popular temples in Japan). Learn about the temple and how the locals pray for good fortune before heading to your traditional Japanese hotel (ryokan) for the night. Just before your scrumptious traditional Japanese multi-course (kaiseki) dinner at the hotel, bid farewell to your tour guide (as you will have a free day to explore without the tour guide on the second day).
- Relax in a traditional onsen (hot spring) in the area of your hotel just before heading to bed and getting a good night’s sleep. In the morning, enjoy a traditional Japanese breakfast before checking out of your hotel and spend your free day further exploring the city or snowboarding/ skiing (highly recommended) in one of the nearby resorts.
- For those who would like to explore neighboring areas such as Matsumoto, Kamikochi, Hakuba, or other neighboring areas with a tour guide and private vehicle, the option is available as an add-on at checkout.
Seasonal Recommendations for This Tour:
Spring Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Viewing: Mid-April to Early-May
Summer Outdoor Activities: Late-May to Late-September
Autumn Foliage (Koyo) Viewing: Early-October to Late-November
Winter Festivities: Early-December to Late-March
- Transportation within Nagano City on the first day (either public transportation or private chartered vehicle for your group only
- A private tour with English-speaking local tour guide
- Overnight accommodation at traditional Japanese hotel (ryokan) – 3 Star or 4/5 Star Hotel options available
- Kaiseki dinner (traditional Japanese multi-course meal) at ryokan on the first day
- Traditional Japanese breakfast at ryokan on the second day
- Onsen (hot springs) experience at ryokan. Please note that the onsen is in the hotel and may not be connected to your room, but there may be a designated time for guests to enjoy the onsen privately for a small fee at the ryokan.
- Entrance fee to Zenko-ji Temple
- Entrance fee to Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park
- Round-trip bullet train from Tokyo Station to Nagano Station (free for visitors with JR pass). Train tickets (for those who do not have JR pass) available as add-on at checkout.
- Meals, snacks and drinks that are not mentioned in inclusions
- Other optional activities for guests (the guests would also have to cover the entrance fee for the tour guide for locations guest would like to visit that is not on the itinerary)
- Optional Experiences:
- Second Day Add-on Tour or Experiences:
- Tour to Kamikochi on second day (28,800 JPY per person), Child (21,600 JPY) and Young child (3,500 JPY); 8 hours total
- Tour to Matsumoto on second day (33,900 JPY per person), Child (27,400 JPY) and Young child (3,500 JPY); 10 hours total
- Tour to Hakuba on second day (33,900 JPY per person), Child (25,500 JPY) and Young child (3,500 JPY); 10 hours total
- Ski/Snowboarding trip on second day (13,200 JPY per person), Child (13,200 JPY) and Young child (3,500 JPY); includes 1-day pass, shuttle bus transportation to and from resort (no tour guide on the slopes or on transit)
- Second Day Add-on Tour or Experiences:
- All year round, but especially recommended during Spring (for cherry blossoms), Fall (for autumn foliage) and Winter (for snow monkeys and winter festivities).
- The monkeys enter the onsen all year round, but sometimes the park wardens will encourage the monkeys by throwing food into the pool, especially during the warmer seasons of the year.
Location: Nagano City, Nagano Prefecture
Time: 9:15 AM (may be earlier depending on availability, or later depending on location of hotel). The full tour on the first day is between 7.5 to 8 hours.
- Must provide names of all guests and birth dates
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Children must be accompanied by an adult (same room as adults, up to 3 children in one room)
- For this tour, if we provide train tickets from Tokyo and return (add-on cost when booking): we will send train tickets to the guests’ hotel in Tokyo (the hotel which guests are staying at before their Nagano trip). Please provide: 1) Hotel Name in Tokyo, 2) Name of guest who booked the hotel, 3) Confirmation Number, and 4) Dates of Stay at the hotel in Tokyo.
- Private tour with English-speaking tour guide is for the first day of the tour only. On the second day, the customer is free to explore Nagano on their own (the tour guide will not be present).
- Snow Monkeys in warmer seasons: The snow starts to melt in March, and the snow monkeys may not bathe as often as they did in the winter to keep warm. Guests may see the snow monkeys taking a swim as the park staff gives them lunch, but unlike winter months, there are definitely days when the monkeys just do not feel like entering the bath. When it is warm and the sun is out, the monkeys tend to be more active and move around the area. The monkeys are more likely to be grooming in the warmer seasons. While Winter is not the only time to see snow monkeys, please note that they are wild animals and it is difficult to predict their behavior. You can still visit the Snow Monkey Park, but seeing the snow monkeys and watching them bathe is not always guaranteed.
- Guests must provide information (name, age) of each guest. A current valid passport is required on the day of travel.
- Age Requirement: Guests of all ages can attend this tour, but a booking must be made for each person. Adult pricing applies to guests age 12 to 99. Child pricing applies to guests age 6 – 11. Young child pricing applies to guests age 1 – 5. In this private group tour, there must be at least one person that is 18 years or older.
In winter the walking trail to Snow Monkey Park may get slippery, so please wear winter shoes. The temperatures in Nagano are much colder than Tokyo, so prepare warm clothes.
A moderate amount of walking is involved. Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
Non-smoking: All the rooms are non-smoking in ryokan (otherwise requested), there are designated areas outside for those who would like to smoke.
All bookings is payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or PayPal. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
Firm Cancellation Policy:
- Cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event.
- Cancellation fee of 75% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before event.
- Cancellation fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 30 days or less before event.
- Cancellation fee of 25% if booking is cancelled 45 days or less before event
There is a non-refundable 3% service fee for all bookings. Refunds (that are not subject to a cancellation fee) will include the ticket price less the 3% service fees. If an event is cancelled or postponed by Japan Awaits, refunds will be for the entire purchase—that includes the ticket price and the service fees.
How far in advance should I book?
Make a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance.