Hakone Private One Day Tour from Tokyo
On this Private One Day Tour from Tokyo to Hakone and return, you will begin your journey at Shinjuku Station where you will meet your English-speaking tour guide before embarking on an express train to Hakone.
Along the way, your tour guide will introduce you to what you will soon be experiencing in Hakone. Although Hakone is only one hundred km from Tokyo, Hakone is part of the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park and is known for its natural beauty. It is famous for its hot springs (onsen) and stunning views of the iconic volcano, Mount Fuji.
After arriving, you will visit Hakone Gora Park and walk the Old Tokaido Road along Lake Ashi. Included in your tour is the Owakudani Ropeway with the view of the volcanic activity at the Boiling Valley and Mt Fuji, as well as cruising Lake Ashi on a Pirate Ship in good weather.
Other optional activities include Gora Park’s Tea Ceremony in a Japanese garden, Hakone Open Air Museum with Picasso Gallery, cruising Lake Ashi with a two body modern ship and a rope way to the top of Mt. Koma, Narukawa Art Museum with a good view of Mt. Fuji and to see Japanese paintings, or a public hot bath at an onsen (hot spring).
Spend the day visiting as many of these locations as you would like and marvel at the natural beauty of Hakone before returning on your train to Tokyo. The tour ends just before dinner time when the train arrives in Tokyo. Bid farewell to your tour guide after returning to Shinjuku Station.
Note for JR Pass Holders:
For guests with JR pass who would prefer to take Shinkansen (bullet train), the trip will start and end at Odawara Station (instead of Shinjuku Station). The cost of the tour is the same for JR Pass holders, but the difference is that the guests and the tour guide will take the bullet train instead of the Odakyu romance car train.
- All guide fees and transportation within Hakone (all optional activities’ costs for the tour guide will be covered by the guest)
- All Hakone bus fares, mountain train and cable cars
- Entrance fees for Hakone Gora Park, Old Tokaido road walking along Lake Ashi (30 minute walk)
- In good weather: Owakudani Ropeway with the view of the volcanic activity at the Boiling Valley and Mt Fuji; Cruising Lake Ashi with a Pirate ship with the view of Mt Fuji
- Discount Entrance Fees to Hakone Open Air Museum, Narukawa Art Museum and the Hakone Barrier Station
- Meals, snacks and drinks
- Optional Activities:
- Ride on the Mt. Komagatake Ropeway that overlooks the Hakone National Park (Optional: 1,300 JPY)
- Gora Park’s Tea Ceremony in Japanese garden (Optional: 500 JPY)
- Hakone Open Air Museum with Picasso Gallery (Optional: 1,600 JPY)
- Crusing Lake Ashi with a two body modern ship and a rope way to the top of Mt. Koma (Optional, Ropeway + Ship fee: 2,220 JPY)
- Narukawa Art Museum with good view of Mt. Fuji and Japanese paintings (Optional: 1,200 JPY)
- Public Hot bath at Hakone Yumoto (Optional, Entrance fee: 1,800 JPY, for private indoor bath: +1,000 JPY)
- Other optional activities in Hakone
- All optional activities costs for tour guide should be covered by the guest on the day of the tour
Availability: Any day except holidays
Location: Tokyo to Hakone, and return
Time: Meet your tour guide at 7:30 AM sharp at Shinjuku Station (for guests who have JR pass, meet your guide at Odawara Station at 7:30 AM). *The meeting time may change based on where the guests are staying.
Travel time on train is about 1 hr 15 minutes each way. The tour within Hakone is about 7 to 7.5 hours. Return to Tokyo around 5 to 6 PM.
The full duration of this Hakone One Day Tour from Tokyo and return is 10 hours.
- 2 or more people: 33,000 JPY per person
- 1 person only: 66,000 JPY per person
- Child: 6,000 JPY per person (Age 6 to 12, must be accompanied by adult)
- Young Child: 2,500 JPY per person (Age 5 and under, must be accompanied by adult)
- Must provide birth date to verify age at the time of booking
- Passport will be required for transportation on tour day
This private tour is for a group of 8 or less people. For a larger group, we may have two tour guides present (depending on availability).
All bookings are payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or PayPal. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
Standard Cancellation Policy:
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 5 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 25% if booking is cancelled 10 days or less before event
There is a non-refundable 3% service fee for all bookings. Refunds (that are not subject to a cancellation fee) will include the ticket price less the 3% service fees. If an event is cancelled or postponed by Japan Awaits, refunds will be for the entire purchase—that includes the ticket price and the service fees.
How far in advance should I book?
Hakone is a popular destination from Tokyo. We recommend making a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance.
When is it Peak Season and what does that mean for this tour?
There are many peak seasons in Hakone, but it is especially busy during Autumn as Hakone is one of the most beautiful locations of Japan to view autumn foliage. During peak season, there will be heavy traffic on the roads and may take two to three times the duration to travel between locations by bus at Hakone.
Other peak holidays include Golden Week (May 6th to 27th), the Obon Holidays (August 11th to 20th), and the New Year Holidays (December 28th – January 6th).