Hakone Private One Day Tour from Tokyo
This private and customizable tour for Hakone is perfect for guests who would like to have their own itinerary planned based on their interests and preferences, allowing guests to experience the city at their own pace.
On this Private One Day Tour from Tokyo to Hakone and return, you will begin your journey in Tokyo (Meeting location will be based on the option you chose) where you will meet your English-speaking tour guide before embarking on an express train to Hakone.
Along the way, your tour guide will introduce you to what you will soon be experiencing in Hakone. Although Hakone is only one hundred km from Tokyo, Hakone is part of the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park and is known for its natural beauty. It is famous for its hot springs (onsen) and stunning views of the iconic volcano, Mount Fuji.
After arriving, you will visit Hakone Gora Park and walk the Old Tokaido Road along Lake Ashi. Included in your tour is the Owakudani Ropeway with the view of the volcanic activity at the Boiling Valley and Mt Fuji, as well as cruising Lake Ashi on a Pirate Ship in good weather.
Other optional activities include Gora Park’s Tea Ceremony in a Japanese garden, Hakone Open Air Museum with Picasso Gallery, cruising Lake Ashi with a two body modern ship and a rope way to the top of Mt. Koma, Narukawa Art Museum with a good view of Mt. Fuji and to see Japanese paintings, or a public hot bath at an onsen (hot spring).
Spend the day visiting as many of these locations as you would like and marvel at the natural beauty of Hakone before returning on your train to Tokyo. The tour ends just before dinner time when the train arrives in Tokyo. Bid farewell to your tour guide after returning to Shinjuku Station.
Please note that the tour itinerary does not include all locations. Once guests have booked the tour, they will receive a form providing a range of itinerary options This form will also include essential information necessary to complete their booking.
- All guide fees and transportation within Hakone (all optional activities’ costs for the tour guide will be covered by the guest)
- All Hakone bus fares, mountain train and cable cars
- Entrance fees for Hakone Gora Park, Old Tokaido road walking along Lake Ashi (30 minute walk)
- In good weather: Owakudani Ropeway with the view of the volcanic activity at the Boiling Valley and Mt Fuji; Cruising Lake Ashi with a Pirate ship with the view of Mt Fuji
- Discount Entrance Fees to Hakone Open Air Museum, Narukawa Art Museum and the Hakone Barrier Station
- Meals, snacks and drinks
- Optional Activities:
- Ride on the Mt. Komagatake Ropeway that overlooks the Hakone National Park (Optional: ~ 2,400 JPY)
- Gora Park’s Tea Ceremony in Japanese garden (Optional: ~ 550 JPY)
- Hakone Open Air Museum with Picasso Gallery (Optional: 700 JPY – 1,600 JPY)
- Crusing Lake Ashi with a two body modern ship and a rope way to the top of Mt. Koma (Optional, Ropeway + Ship fee: ~ 2,400 JPY)
- Narukawa Art Museum with good view of Mt. Fuji and Japanese paintings (Optional: 400 JYP- 1,500 JPY)
- Public Hot bath at Hakone Yumoto (Optional, Entrance fee: 900 JPY – 1,000 JYP, for private indoor bath: 1000 JYP- 3,500 JPY)
- Other optional activities in Hakone
- All optional activities costs for tour guide should be covered by the guest on the day of the tour
Availability: Any day except holidays.We recommend making a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance.
Location: Tokyo to Hakone, and return
- Public Transportation – From Tokyo: This option includes an English-speaking guide and covers all public transportation costs, including hotel pickup and drop-off within Tokyo center. Please note that admission fees and optional activity costs for both guests and tour guides are not included.
- Private Vehicle – From Tokyo: This option includes an English-speaking guide and a private vehicle for your convenience. The private vehicle covers hotel pickup and drop-off within a 10 km radius of Shinjuku Station. Please note that admission fees and optional activity costs for both guests and tour guides are not included.
- Public Transportation- From Odawara Station: This option includes an English-speaking guide and covers all public transportation costs from Odawara Station (Pick-up from hotel is not included). Please note that admission fees and optional activity costs for both guests and tour guides are not included.
- Private Transportation- From Odawara Station: This option includes an English-speaking guide and a private vehicle from Odawara Station (Pick-up from hotel is not included). Please note that admission fees and optional activity costs for both guests and tour guides are not included.
- Public Transportation: Meet our tour guide around 7:30 AM – 8:30 AM. The exact meeting location will be provided once your booking is confirmed.
- Private Transportation: Meet our tour guide around 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM. The exact meeting location will be provided once your booking is confirmed.
Please note that the tour duration includes the travel time. Return to Tokyo around 5 to 6 PM.
Select number of people under Booking Request for pricing.
- Passport will be required for transportation on tour day
This private tour is for a group of 15 or less people.
All bookings are payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or Flywire. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
Standard Cancellation Policy:
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 5 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 50% if booking is cancelled 7 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 25% if booking is cancelled 10 days or less before event
How far in advance should I book?
Hakone is a popular destination from Tokyo. We recommend making a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance.
Preparing a customized tour requires some time, especially if reservations for restaurants or other venues are required. We recommend making a reservation as early as possible. Ideally, it should be 3 months before your travel date, or 1 month before the travel date at the very least. For Custom Tour bookings that are requested with less than 7 days before the travel date, we may not be able to arrange your custom tour in time so your booking request may be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
Why am I charged a service fee if I make a cancellation after you started planning the trip?
Organizing and planning a trip requires a lot of time and if we have made reservations on your behalf, it may be very challenging to cancel some booking requests. Once we receive your booking and your answers from the Custom Tour form, we will begin putting together your Itinerary Sheet and will start arranging your tour guide, buying tickets, making reservations at venues for your tour, etc.
If you cancel the tour any time after we have sent you the custom Itinerary Sheet, the service fee of 15% of your total tour cost will be nonrefundable.
If your cancellation falls within the fees applied to the Standard Cancellation Policy, the service fee of 15% will no longer take effect. You will only be responsible for the cancellation fee specified in the Standard Cancellation Policy. Please carefully review the terms and conditions specified on the checkout page.
When is it Peak Season and what does that mean for this tour?
There are many peak seasons in Hakone, but it is especially busy during Autumn as Hakone is one of the most beautiful locations of Japan to view autumn foliage. During peak season, there will be heavy traffic on the roads and may take two to three times the duration to travel between locations by bus at Hakone.
Other peak holidays include Golden Week (May 6th to 27th), the Obon Holidays (August 11th to 20th), and the New Year Holidays (December 28th – January 6th).