Studio Ghibli Museum: Pre-Order Ticket Request
Fans of Studio Ghibli’s films won’t want to miss the opportunity to see the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo! Admission to the museum is by advance reservation only and tickets cannot be purchased on site at the museum. Book your tickets early with Japan Awaits to secure your spot and experience what the Ghilbi Museum has to offer!
Studio Ghibli, Inc. is a Japanese animation film studio, that is famously led by Hayao Miyazaki. The studio is best known for its anime feature films–eight of which are among the 15 highest-grossing anime films made in Japan and five films (including Spirited Away, 2001) received Academy Award nominations in the United States.
The Ghibli Museum opened in 2001 in Mitaka, Tokyo, and has become a popular tourist attraction. Co-founded by director Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli is behind some of Japan’s most beloved animated films, such as “My Neighbor Totoro,” “Princess Mononoke,” and “Spirited Away”. The museum attracts a huge number of visitors and tickets are extremely limited, so it is best to acquire the tickets in advance to ensure you can visit the museum when you are in town.
Hayao Miyazaki, the director of Studio Ghibli, had a hand in designing the facilities at the museum, including:
- A sculpture of a robot from Castle in the Sky (the most popular exhibit in the museum)
- A stone monument from Castle in the Sky (words of the character Laputa are engraved)
- The seasonal exhibition room, which focuses on specific works of art
- The permanent exhibition room, which features storyboards from films
- The Cat-bus room where children can play freely
- Library reading room with all books available for purchase
- Video exhibition room where seasonal anime works have been screened
- Ghibli characters drawn on the entire ceiling of the entrance hall
- A display entrance counter from Totoro
- Mugiwara Bousi café
- Souvenir shop
- Easily pre-order your tickets online (as a ticket request)
- Tickets are delivered to your hotel for your convenience
- Explore the museum at your leisure, and watch one of Miyazaki’s earliest films (only shown in the museum theater)
- Shop for exclusive Ghibli-themed souvenirs at the museum
Availability: All days except Tuesdays and holidays
Tickets are on a first-come, first-served basis and is based on availability. Acquiring the tickets is not always guaranteed. We will let you know at least two weeks before the ticket date if we were NOT able to secure the tickets for you, and you will receive a full refund.
- You can pre-order your tickets until the 5th of the previous month of your ticket date. For example, if you would like tickets for February, you must place your order with us by January 5th (23:59 JST), or if you would like tickets for October, you must place your order with us by September 5th (23:59 JST), and so forth.
- Your Hotel (or your place of stay) details are required by the 5th of the previous month of your ticket date. Please review “Additional Details” for information required for this booking.
Starting Time: 10 AM, 12 PM, 2 PM, 4 PM
Location: Ghibli Museum, 1-1-83, Shimorenjaku, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo
- Tickets with Delivery: Includes ticket (age 4+, 1000 JPY) and service fee for finding tickets and delivery to your accommodation. Children from age 1 to 4 is free of charge). Please choose one of the two options below for delivery:
- Ticket with Hotel Delivery: ¥4,900 per person
Tickets can only be delivered to hotels with a concierge service (not suitable for Airbnb)
- Ticket with In-person Delivery: ¥7500 in-person
Tickets will be delivered to your place of stay (suitable for Airbnb and guesthouses).
2. Tickets with Tour: Includes ticket (age 4+, 1000 JPY) and service fee for finding tickets and 1.5 hour tour with English-speaking tour guide. Please see options below for tours:
- Ticket with Small Group Tour: ¥9,800 per person
This tour is for a small group of up to 5 people only per tour guide.
- Ticket with Private Tour: See pricing at checkout
This private tour is for your group only (other guests cannot join).
3. Tickets with Vehicle Transfers: Includes ticket (age 4+), service fee and private vehicle transfers from hotel to museum, and return (2 hours at museum only)
- See pricing at checkout
4. Tickets with Vehicle Transfers and English-Speaking Tour Guide: Includes ticket (age 4+), service fee and private vehicle transfers from hotel to museum, and return (2 hours at museum only), and tour from English-speaking tour guide in museum.
- See pricing at checkout
- Admission ticket
- Ticket delivery (please choose “Hotel Delivery” or “In-person Delivery” option at checkout)
- PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS IN THE GHIBLI FORM: After your booking, you will receive a link to the Ghibli Form that asks for pertinent information required for this booking. Please ensure that this Ghibli Form is completed accurately before the 5th of your ticket request date to avoid cancellation. The questions you will be asked are:
- Please provide at least 3 different dates and 3 different times (in order of preference) to increase your chances of getting the ticket. The entrance times for Ghibli Museum are 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm, or 4:00 pm. If you do not provide alternative dates and times before the 5th of the previous month of your ticket date, your entrance ticket time will be assigned to you automatically on the ticket date you selected. The tickets are based on availability, but acquiring the tickets is not always guaranteed. We will let you know at least two weeks before the ticket date if we were NOT able to secure the tickets for you, and you will receive a full refund.
- For ticket delivery purpose, hotel or Airbnb/guesthouse details must be provided to the local operator by the 5th at 23:59 JST of the previous month of the ticket date or your booking may be subject to cancellation.
- For Hotel Delivery: Please provide 1) Hotel name, 2) Hotel address, 3) Full name used for your reservation, 4) Confirmation booking number, and 5) Dates of stay at this hotel. We will deliver your tickets to your hotel in advance for your concierge to hold for you. The tickets will be available upon check-in. We require at least 7 full business days for delivery. We only deliver to hotels with a concierge with whom we can confirm the receipt of the ticket delivery (if your hotel does not have a concierge, please book the “In-person Delivery” option). If there are changes to your accommodation, please let us know right away; once tickets are sent to hotel, we may not be able to retrieve them (guests may have to pick up at the original hotel they booked with).
- For In-person Delivery: Please provide 1) Full Address (including apartment #), 2) Contact phone number (our staff will contact you for delivery or drop-off, 3) Dates of Stay at this Location. This in-person ticket delivery option is ideal for guests who are not staying at hotel with a concierge service (for instance, Airbnb or guesthouses). Our staff member will personally meet the guest at their place of stay within Central Tokyo and hand the tickets to the guest, or drop off at this designated location.
- Only one name (the Lead Passenger) is required for this booking and must be the same name on the person’s passport. This name will be printed on all tickets for the group. The Lead Passenger must bring his/her passport to Ghibli Museum and the staff will check that the name on the tickets match the name on the Lead Passenger’s passport. Other guests should also bring their passport as the museum may check the age of each person in the group.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- The cost includes ticket (age 4+, 1000 JPY), service fee (3900 JPY) for finding tickets and delivery to your hotel (if applicable). Additional fee required for in-person delivery (suitable for those staying at Airbnb or guesthouses). Adult pricing applies to all travelers age 4 and above.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
By Train: Take the JR Chuo Line to Mitaka Station (it takes about 20-30 minutes from Shinjuku station on Express or Local train). When you arrive at Mitaka Station, exit from the South Exit (南口, Minami), and follow the signs for the Ghibli Museum.
There is a community bus operated by the private Odakyu company that can take you to the museum, and it departs from the No. 9 bus stop. The adult fare for the bus is 320 JPY round-trip and 160 JPY round-trip for children aged 12 and under, and the ticket can be purchased at the vending machine right at the stop.
By Walking: After exiting the South Exit at Mitaka Station, follow the signs to Ghilbi Museum and walk approximately 15 minutes along the Tamagawa Josui “Waterworks” to the museum.
By Car: Driving is not recommended by the museum, as there is no parking upon arrival.
All bookings are payable via Stripe (Booking Checkout) or PayPal. Confirmations regarding your booking will be sent at least 10 days before your activity date.
Firm Cancellation Policy:
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 45 days or less before event
The following rules were set by Ghibli Museum to make your stay at the museum pleasant, safe and comfortable:
- Bring your passport. At the museum, staff will check that the name (or lead passenger) on the ticket matches with your passport.
- Photography and video recording are not allowed inside the Museum (“The Ghibli Museum is a portal to a storybook world. As the main character in a story, we ask that you experience the Museum space with your own eyes and senses, instead of through a camera’s viewfinder. We ask that you make what you experienced in the Museum the special memory that you take home with you.”)
- Admission into the Saturn Theater will be limited to one screening per person.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited on the premises of the Museum.
- Please turn off all mobile phones. You are also asked not to use mobile phones outside the Museum building where they may disturb others.
- Those who are sensitive to light should be aware that in the Permanent Exhibition Room, there is an exhibit that flashes bright bursts of stroboscopic light.
- The garden roof may be closed in case of inclement weather.
- The Cat Bus is for elementary school children and under only.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited inside the Museum. Anyone who has brought food or beverages to the Museum must eat or drink on the Cafe’s outside deck only (The deck area may be closed in case of inclement weather) and take with them any litter he/she has created.
- Please leave baby carriages at the designated storage area. Coin lockers are available for small bags and parcels. For large luggage, please contact our Museum staff for assistance.
- It is prohibited to enter the Museum with dangerous objects.
- Pets (except seeing-eye or guide dogs) are not allowed in the Museum.
- Any activities which may interfere with the operation of the Museum, either inside the Museum or in the facilities related to the Museum, are strictly prohibited.
- The Museum reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who might interfere with other visitors or cause trouble to others in the Museum.
- No re-entry to the Museum is allowed.
- The Museum or its related service providers are not responsible for accidents caused by visitors’ negligence.
- Visitor parking is not available at the Museum. You are kindly requested not to come to the Museum by car.
- Meetings, speeches, distribution of leaflets, and exhibit and sales of goods are prohibited within the Museum.
- Photography or video recording of the Museum for commercial purpose is not allowed.
- Ticket purchase for resale is not allowed.
How far in advance should I book?
Make a reservation as early as possible and ideally, at least a month in advance. Tickets go on sale every 10th of the month for the following month (we stop accepting bookings on the 5th of the previous month of the ticket date). For example, February tickets will go on sale on January 10th (we stop accepting ticket bookings on January 5th).
How do I increase my chances of getting tickets?
We suggest providing us with at least 3 dates in which you can visit the museum, and to be open to visiting the museum during any of the 4 entrance times of the day. Tickets for weekends are sold out quickly and limited in supply. Tickets for earlier in the day (10 AM and 12 PM entrance times) are also high in demand. Please be open to other days of the week and other times during the day to increase your chances of getting a ticket.